Re: 2.3.40-pre1: Partition Enumeration

From: Guest section DW (dwguest@win.tue.nl)
Date: Fri Jan 14 2000 - 18:41:32 EST

On Fri, Jan 14, 2000 at 08:04:34PM +0100, Andrzej Krzysztofowicz wrote:

> > see, my rootfs switched from /dev/hda6 to /dev/hda12.
>
> This is old-known problem and it seems there is no good solution of it.
> The only I know is (potentially) devfs naming convention.
>
> Changing the sequence of second-level partition initialization doesn't solve
> this problem. (it only moves problem from extended to BSD/Unixware/Solaris
> partitions)

No, but it is the best possible approximation to a stable numbering.
For most people (who do not have both solaris and unixware, compiling
even kernels with solaris support and odd kernels with unixware support)
the right order suffices to eliminate all problems.

The problem is independent of naming - there is a tree-structured space
here, and the kernel has to flatten it, assigning minor numbers.
In user space it is easy to populate /dev/unixware with device nodes
p1, p2, ... that are symlinks to /dev/hda12, /dev/hda13, ...
(or use mount by label or uuid).