Re: 2.3.40-pre1: Partition Enumeration

From: Guest section DW (dwguest@win.tue.nl)
Date: Fri Jan 14 2000 - 14:27:33 EST

On Thu, Jan 13, 2000 at 02:37:55PM -0800, Tigran Aivazian wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am not sure the current algorithm for enumerating 3rd party
> partitions is perfect. It makes it very hard to switch between
> booting kernels with and without support for those partitions. E.g. I have
> 2.2.12 from Red Hat 6.1 that has no support for UnixWare and FreeBSD
> partitions and now use 2.3.40-pre1 with support for those two and all my
> normal (i.e. Linux ext2) partitions get shifted around. That;s not good.

Yes, a well-known complaint.
Some time ago I sent a patch to someone with the same problem.
The comment
+ /* Look for partitions in two passes:
+ First find the primary partitions, and the DOS-type extended partitions.
+ On the second pass look inside *BSD and Unixware and Solaris partitions. */
shows what it does.

The patch was for 2.3.29 - will check that it still applies and post it here
later this evening. It also solves the problem people had where only one
BSD partition was detected.

Andries