intelogis passport driver questions

From: Dave Weis (djweis@plconline.com)
Date: Mon Jan 10 2000 - 10:33:14 EST

hello!

i was looking at the docs for the intelogis passport drivers for NT and
was going to try a writing a linux driver for them. i didn't know how to
split the portions between user space and kernel space though.

briefly, there are two protocols that get sent out, raw data and CAL that
does network administration. their driver is in three layers, a port
monitor (pportlpt) that does packet sending, a server driver (pportsrv)
that does node management like keeping track of which network adapters and
printer adapters that are on the network and arbitrating sending and
receiving, and the ndis nic driver (pportndi) that makes it appear like a
nic. there's another protocol in the mix that is used between the pportlpt
and pportsrv layers called plx that is the driver interface for the
devices. it has a maximum packet length of 64 bytes with a header of 12
bytes. there are node addresses for each device and an ethernet mac
address is made out of that.

their explanation is at
http://www.intelogis.com/opensource/ntdocs.html

the printer functionality isn't really important to me but it probably
would be to some people and i don't want to eliminate it if i don't have
to. i was thinking initially of having the kernel contain the pportlpt
equivalent and a user-space program can make a socket for PF_PLX and
make a pty to run slip or ppp over. any discovered printers could also get
ptys created for them to send jobs over. another option would be to make
the printer devices appear in /proc/driver/intelogis/lp?.

any suggestions?

dave

--
David Weis                | 10520 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50322
djweis@plconline.com      | Voice 515-278-0133 Ext 231
                          | http://www.perfectionlearning.com/
When they took the Fourth Amendment, I was quiet because I didn't deal drugs.
When they took the Fifth Amendment, I was quiet because I was innocent.
When they took the Second Amendment, I was quiet because I didn't own a gun.
Now they've taken the First Amendment and I can't say anything.