Re: [idea] request_module(const char *fmt, ...);

From: Tigran Aivazian (tigran@sco.COM)
Date: Wed Jan 12 2000 - 12:17:53 EST

On Wed, 12 Jan 2000, Manfred Spraul wrote:
> I usually don't care about the compile time [coffee break], esp. since
> changing CONFIG_KMOD seems rare. The final result is more important.

I hope I care about the final result not less than anyone else. But the
final result is not just the image size + a few CPU cycles saved when
auto-loading modules. The final result depends on the beauty of the code
much more - and, imho, my patch makes the code more beautiful - I hate
having to trace all the #ifdefs - I need a special paper for printouts
that understands %, Ctrl-], Ctrl-t and other vi(1) keys :)

Also, the image size is greater if CONFIG_KMOD is not defined but it is
much smaller when it is defined. Remember all the snippets of code with
char name[32]; sprintf(name...) all over the place? Now they are all
compactified into one piece inside request_module().

Regards,
Tigran.