Re: Standard Development Integration

From: Horst von Brand (vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl)
Date: Wed Jan 12 2000 - 07:21:00 EST

Marco Colombo <marco@esi.it> said:
> On Tue, 11 Jan 2000, Horst von Brand wrote:

[...]

> > Calling the current 2.3 2.4 won't make it stable. And nobody wants the 2.0
> > fiasko again: Let 2.3 mature before it gets to be 2.4, and let's hope for
> > at most 2.4.12 or so (like we are getting with 2.2).

> Agreed. I'm not saying to make the move tomorrow. I'm just saying to
> make the todo list as shorter as possible, by removing items, and have it
> stable as soon as possible.

That is what they are doing right now...

[...]

> > [Proposal to "just get out unstable stuff" gets us nowhere fast]

> Yup. I just wonder why there's so much work to be done. My answer is that
> 2.3 came out too late, with many people developing on 2.2. So they've been
> late with 2.3.

Because many things changed, like USB (many different ways to connect a
devices, many copies of same, hotplugging, ...). Others where broken and
slated for rework (SCSI), and bugs (both ancient and new) surfaced. New
drivers have been integrated, PCI (and bus handling in general) was redone
for hotplugging.

--
Horst von Brand                             vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl
Casilla 9G, Viņa del Mar, Chile                               +56 32 672616