Re: Announce: initrd-tftp 0.1

From: Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Date: Tue Jan 11 2000 - 01:40:04 EST

On Mon, 10 Jan 2000 21:51:32 +0100,
Bas Mevissen <sgm@plamev.demon.nl> wrote:
> Hmmm. Can someone help shrinking /sbin/insmod.static and
>/sbin/rmmod.static on my Red Hat 6.1 system, because they are used for an
>initrd. It would be good to have static versions of these build in
>standard modutils package!

modutils 2.3 [1] has a configure option --enable-insmod-static which
together with the combined binary option results in a static
insmod/rmmod/modprobe of "only" 406204 bytes. The non-static combined
binary is 74352, both figures are stripped. Alas modutils uses
snprintf and malloc, including either of those adds 200K to the static
binary. Then something pulls in NLS and the binary continues to grow.

I can replace all the fopen, fclose, fgets, fputs etc. with local
routines that use read and write. But I still need snprintf and malloc
so replacing the f* routines does not reduce the binary size. What we
need is a standard small glibc equivalent that only has snprintf,
vsnprintf and a small malloc set. Does such a library exist?

[1] ftp://ftp.ocs.com.au/pub/modutils/v2.3