Re: Announce: initrd-tftp 0.1

From: Erik Andersen (andersen@xmission.com)
Date: Mon Jan 10 2000 - 18:46:36 EST

On Mon Jan 10, 2000 at 04:03:33PM -0600, Avery Pennarun wrote:
> It gets really inefficient really fast to have _lots_ of static binaries on
> one disk. My ideal solution would be something like this:
>
> - glibc2.1-based basic kernel calls (read, write, socket, etc)
>
> - Cygnus newlib-based stdio/malloc
>
> - all apps statically linked and merged into a single binary that
> keys off argv[0], in the manner of Debian's 'busybox' program.
>
> - and it all builds automatically :)
>
> I'm probably dreaming, but I've been wanting to do it for quite a while now.

<busybox maintainer hat on>
Have at it. http://busybox.lineo.com/
<off>

Getting busybox to replace kernel based NFS-root would be _easy_ since
busybox already supports NFS in its mount implementation (mount + nfs
support - everything else = 18960 bytes dynamicly linked). Unfortunatly
(as discussed) when staticly linked vs glibc it grows to 309k. Perhaps
some of the ideas discussed here may help to greatly shrink it.
Certainly replacing printf with the micro printf implementation
discussed earlier in this thread would help.

Adding a trivial tftp client to BB should be easy as well. Turn off
everything else, boom, a user space initrd-tftp solution. And I
had it in front on me the whole time.

/me bops myself on the head.

 -Erik

--