Re: /proc guidelines and sysctl

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Sat Jan 08 2000 - 10:51:27 EST

> torvalds@transmeta.com (Linus Torvalds) writes:
> >I'll accept a patch that turns sysctl into a proc-only thing.
> Linus,
> how about systems where there is no choice to have a /proc Filesystem?

For embedded systems I can see it is an issue, /proc is simply too large
to include just for a few constants.

> Why not using sysctl (or call it something else) for _READ ONLY_
> access to these basic system constants (e.g. HZ) and the /proc
> Filesystem to read/write them?

Embedded boxes need a way to write to sysctl stuff. People are very close to
having nice working linux embedded stuff without any fs code even linked into
the kernel core.

> If you make sysctl a "proc-only-thing", I would still need a /proc
> filesystem for my chroot-jailed glibc's, wouldn't I?

cp -r, loopback nfs mount, .. ?

sysctl is used by some applications so its a back compatibility call we end
up needed anyway.