Re: time_t size: The year 2038 bug? [ever further off topic]

From: Bobo Rajec (bobo@bspc.sk)
Date: Fri Jan 07 2000 - 05:29:10 EST

On Fri, Jan 07, 2000 at 01:15:18AM -0800, peter swain wrote:

> "Johan Kullstam wrote:"
> > type bits
> > char 8
> > short int 16
> > int 64
> > long int 64
> > long long 128
> >
> > ok now that we have no 32 bit integer quantity, please get me a 32 bit
> > integer using a #define macro.
>
> i was porting to almost exactly that 15 years ago, except the 16bit
> native type was missing, not the 32bit.

Consider Windows NT 64b:

type bits
char 8
short int 16
int 32
long int 32
(void *) 64

Basically, they went the P64 way, that is: pointers are 64 bit,
everything else is as in 32 bit Windows. If you want 64 bit integer,
you have to use __int64, or something like that. The reason was that
they wanted the API to stay the same, and in Windows API nearly every
parameter is long. They did not want them to be 64 bit (hysterical
reasons, afaik).

Unices are in general LP64 - longs and pointers are 64 bit, integers
are 32 bit, shorts 16 bit and chars 8 bit.

        bobo