Re: time_t size: The year 2038 bug? [ever further off topic]

From: peter swain (swine@swine.dyndns.org)
Date: Fri Jan 07 2000 - 04:15:18 EST

"Johan Kullstam wrote:"
> Thierry Vignaud <tvignaud@mandrakesoft.com> writes:
> > Jesse Pollard a écrit :
> > > Johan Kullstam" <kullstam@ne.mediaone.net>
> > ever head of inttypes.h ???
> consider a 64 bit processor where you'd like to have 64 bit integers.
> use the following:
>
> type bits
> char 8
> short int 16
> int 64
> long int 64
> long long 128
>
> ok now that we have no 32 bit integer quantity, please get me a 32 bit
> integer using a #define macro.

i was porting to almost exactly that 15 years ago, except the 16bit
native type was missing, not the 32bit.

code has got a *lot* more portable in that time.
well, open source code -- let's see how long it takes before
M$'s *whole* application suite (and protocol stacks) are relatively
stable on *native* ia64 machines....

i really don't see M$ surviving the transition to native 64bit too well,
so we won't have to worry about *them* in 2038

oh, which machine? the elxsi64

^..^