Re: time_t size: The year 2038 bug?

From: Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Date: Wed Jan 05 2000 - 22:33:01 EST

On Wed, 5 Jan 2000 18:43:17 -0800,
"David Schwartz" <davids@webmaster.com> wrote:
> All these things have moved to
>32-bits where they would previously have been done with 8-bit or 16-bit
>processors. They will likewise move to 64-bits.

Doubt it. http://www.zfmicro.com/MachZ.htm are doing a 486 on a chip,
including Linux support. It has only just been announced and is
guaranteed to be available for *at least* 5 years, so they will still
be shipped up to 2005 at least. Once those beasts get heavily used for
embedded systems, what is the chance that many will still be running in
2038? Fairly high I suspect, embedded systems tend to run for a long
time.