Re: time_t size: The year 2038 bug?

From: Dominik Kubla (dominik.kubla@uni-mainz.de)
Date: Wed Jan 05 2000 - 18:42:33 EST

On Thu, Jan 06, 2000 at 12:22:48AM +0100, Leos Bitto wrote:

> No, it is not. It was about the software, now it is about the
> hardware. Hardware will not survive like the software did.

Nonsense: most of those old programs were still in use just because the
mainframes and minis they were running on were so reliable. In our
case our IBM hadn't been down for years and we had to tell the technical
department to delay the maintanace of the power station (which would
have resulted in power loss for a day, more than any UPS can cover) until
after the software had been migrated to Solaris/Oracle/SAP because we
weren't sure the system would start up again after a powerloss without
assistance by IBM support personel!

So we are talking hardware in any case: if it ain't broke nobody will
fix it and you will see lots of 32bit systems (especially embedded systems!)
still running in 2038!

Yours,
  Dominik Kubla