Re: Linux 2.4 before 2001?

From: Mike A. Harris (mharris@meteng.on.ca)
Date: Wed Jan 05 2000 - 11:43:34 EST

On Wed, 5 Jan 2000, Alan Cox wrote:

>> This brings up a point: Why do developers of the kernel, or any
>> other software project for that matter - give bunk projected
>> release dates at all? It introduces the "vaporware" concept, and
>> makes things look bad. In reality, there are so many people
>> working on the kernel, that at any point, some major cool new
>> feature, patch, speedup, or whatnot can happen, and often does,
>> and this often pushes the stabilization and release back a month
>> or more.
>
>Its a target. If you dont have a target you never finish. If you do have a
>target you miss it sometimes. The good thing is we are missing by a smaller
>margin each time.

A good point. I'll also agree with the "smaller margin" as well.
Someone else pointed out that commercial companies have target
dates too, but that they are not publically visible. In Linux
land, our target dates are public by nature...

I guess that argument is a very good one... Ok, I'll shut up
now. Take care, and keep up the good work of narrowing those
margins. ;o)

--
Mike A. Harris                                     Linux advocate
Computer Consultant                                  GNU advocate

Join the FreeMWare project - the goal to produce a FREE program in which you can run Windows 95/98/NT, and other operating systems.

http://www.freemware.org