Re: First draft list of 2.3.x "Things to fix"

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Wed Jan 05 2000 - 10:38:51 EST

> o Are we going to merge new drivers by Donald Becker? If so,
> merge his PCI scan code first and make it call 2.3 functions.

I tried a couple of times to sort the mess out. I never got the PCI scan code to work
right, it kept not checking resources, registering I/O as memory and stuff. I at least
don't think its ready. The drivers also seemed to have problems (not that the existing
ones dont). Right now I'd rather 2.3.x picked up the fixes from 2.2.14 for tulip and
acquired the eepro100 and other work people have been doing then the bug fixes from
Donalds driver updates.

Its not that I don't think Don is on the right track, just I don't think he has the right
implementation.

> o Check whether VISWS compiles and if there's nobody to test
> it, mark it as experimental. It's probably got broken by many
> i386 changes.

Thats IMHO SGI's problem. Im assuming they will at some point resync with it and produce
a small chunk of needed patches

Alan