Re: Once again

Tue, 29 Jun 1999 04:36:27 +0200

Richard Gooch wrote:
> I don't see why these serial numbers are useful. With my VFS poll
> patch, you can be informed when an inode is written to since the last
> poll(). Doesn't that take care of everything?

Yes w.r.t. detecting changes in a browser that has fds open.
In fact your solution works wheres the serial numbers don't :-)

But the serial numbers have a different use: persistent tracking of
changed files. E.g. to speed up recursive makes, and to spot changed
files where a checksum would normally be required.
See also the thread "Detecting changed files for JIT/metadata cacheing".

So you're right but there's an separate problem.

-- Jamie