Re: Attempted summary of suspend-blockers LKML thread

From: david
Date: Wed Aug 04 2010 - 19:41:15 EST

On Thu, 5 Aug 2010, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

On Thursday, August 05, 2010, david@xxxxxxx wrote:
On Wed, 4 Aug 2010, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

Subject: Re: Attempted summary of suspend-blockers LKML thread

On Wednesday, August 04, 2010, david@xxxxxxx wrote:
On Wed, 4 Aug 2010, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
In the suspend case, when you have frozen all applications, you can
sequentially disable all interrupts except for a few selected ("wakeup") ones
in a safe way. By disabling them, you ensure that the CPU will only be
"revived" by a limited set of events and that allows the system to stay
low-power for extended time intervals.

the benifit of this will depend on what wakeups you are able to avoid by
putting the hardware to sleep. Depending on the hardware, this may be not
matter that much.

That's correct, but evidently it does make a difference with the hardware
Android commonly runs on.

Ok, but is there a way to put some of this to sleep without involving a
full suspend?

Technically, maybe, but we have no generic infrastructure in the kernel for that.
There may be SoC-specific implementations, but nothing general enough.

well, I know that we have specific cases of this (drive spin-down, cpu speed, display backlight for a few examples), is it worth trying to define a generic way to do this sort of thing? or should it be left as a per-device thing (with per-device knobs to control it)

I thought I had seen discussion on how to define such a generic power management interface, and I thought the results had been acceptable.

David Lang