Re: CONFIG_VFAT_FS_DUALNAMES regressions

From: Jan Engelhardt
Date: Thu Jul 02 2009 - 19:46:54 EST

On Friday 2009-07-03 01:17, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

>On Wednesday 2009-07-01 16:05, Theodore Tso wrote:
>>On Wed, Jul 01, 2009 at 12:25:58PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
>>
>>> (most *FAT using products don't use Microsofts
>>> implementation). Testing it versus Windows and saying it works is
>>> not really adequate. Thats what ACPI and BIOS people do that *we*
>>> moan about all the time.
>>
>>[...]
>>The other big user I can think of are digital cameras, but (a)
>>normally most users read from them and then delete the pictures, and
>>rarely write to media meant for a digital camera, and (b) the DCIM
>>standard for digital cameras explicitly only supports 8.3 filenames
>>and so digital camera manufacturers explicitly don't need to deal with
>>Long File Names at all. (Hmm.... I wonder why....)
>>[...]
>>Ultimately, though, requiring that every single possible device be
>>tested is probably not reasonable, so the best way to do this testing
>>is the way do most of our testing; we do basic due diligence, but then
>>we merge it into mainline and let our huge user community try it out.
>

>Yes, here is your precedent case. The DUALNAMES patch breaks the
>operation on my Fujifilm Finepix A210 digital camera.

Adding to that, I've just run it against every possible USB device I
could dig up in my room (i.e. one more for now).

It also breaks with the Tekmax T-1000/TMP-1000 (nicknamed
"ioneit"/"i-one-it"/"i-want-it") digital audio player. Its built-in
directory browser does display the copied file (see below), but does not
want to play it nor enqueue it into the playlist.

Again, a simple copy operation was performedÂâ this time for both
8.3 and long names, i.e.:

$ cp working.mp3 TEST0000.mp3
$ cp working.mp3 TEST12345678.mp3

None of the dualnames=n-created files were accepted.

(Combinations that worked: 2.6.29.5-w/o-dualnames-patch, and
2.6.31-rc1+dualnames=y)