Re: A Great Idea (tm) about reimplementing NLS.

From: Patrick McFarland
Date: Wed Jun 15 2005 - 20:54:24 EST

On Wednesday 15 June 2005 04:50 pm, Alexey Zaytsev wrote:
> On 13/06/05, Alan Cox <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > That said it ought to be possible to use the stackable fs work (FUSE
> > etc) to write a layer you can mount over any fs that does NLS
> > translation.
>
> Now I quite agree that it isn't a Great Idea to do such conversion in
> the kernel, but the problem still remains and there is no other place
> we can do it. I belive that it should be done now and removed after
> the world finishes to move to utf. Maybe it should not be applyed to
> the main kernel tree, but I'm sure that at least Russian linux
> distributions will like it.

I partially agree. I think no userland application should have access to the
un-'fixed' file names; they should be fed only Unicode to prevent the spread
and acceptance of out of date encodings.

Forcing users to do smart things is often the only way to make them do smart
things, and the lack of acceptance of Unicode on Linux in the wild seems to
be the only way.

--
Patrick "Diablo-D3" McFarland || pmcfarland@xxxxxxxxxxxx