Re: A Great Idea (tm) about reimplementing NLS.

From: Patrick McFarland
Date: Wed Jun 15 2005 - 20:52:14 EST

On Monday 13 June 2005 03:20 pm, Alan Cox wrote:
> An ext3fs is always utf-8. People might have chosen to put other
> encodings on it but thats "not our fault" ;)

What happens if you 'field upgrade' ext2 to ext3 by adding a journal? That
doesn't magically convert !utf-8 to utf-8.

> There are some good technical reasons too
>
> Encodings don't map 1:1 - two names may cease to be unique

Hold up. Unless the original encoding is 'wrong' and has two mapped characters
that, in reality, are the same character, no such uniqueness should stop.
(This implies the encoding that we switched to 'fixed' said 'bug')

> Encodings vary in length - image a file name that is longer than the
> allowed maximum on your system with your encoding choice - that could
> occur with KOI8-R to UTF-8 I believe

Thats a fault of the file system design, not of the encoding. File systems
should not have very short filenames.

--
Patrick "Diablo-D3" McFarland || pmcfarland@xxxxxxxxxxxx