Re: gzip zombie / spawned from init

From: Bart Hartgers
Date: Tue Jun 14 2005 - 05:55:41 EST

Nico Schottelius wrote:
Hello!

I wrote an init replacement (cinit), which is now in the beta-phase.
The only problem I do have currently is that when calling
'loadkeys dvorak' directly from init (without a shell or anything)
it will leave behind a gzip zombie (which was forked by loadkeys).

Now my question is: Is that a problem of loadkeys or from my init
and what could be the reasons that it's still there?

Not really a kernel issue but:

Yes and no. If a parent exits before its child, the child is reparented to init. loadkeys probably doesn't wait properly for gzip to finish.

cinit forks() loadkeys and does waitpid() for it. There is no
> loadkeys zombie, only gzip.

Use waitpid(-1,...) or wait(...) to wait on all childeren in your init. gzip will become a child of cinit.

Groeten,
Bart
--
Bart Hartgers - TUE Eindhoven - http://plasimo.phys.tue.nl/bart/contact/