Re: Another Kernel OOPS running under 2.2.13 Caldera Open Linux

Steve Dodd (dirk@loth.demon.co.uk)
Fri, 31 Dec 1999 13:06:44 +0000

On Fri, Dec 31, 1999 at 05:44:17AM -0600, George R. Kasica wrote:
> Here's more oops stuff....is there ANY pattern you are all seeing
> here, this is getting old very quickly.

> >>EIP; c011ea00 <kmem_cache_free+140/168> <=====
> Trace; c012ea8f <prune_dcache+df/10c>
> Trace; c012ed2b <shrink_dcache_memory+27/30>
> Trace; c011f632 <do_try_to_free_pages+7a/90>
[..]

My (uninformed) guess would be hardware problems - bad memory, overclocked /
overheated CPU, etc. All your oopsen seem to have occured in bits of the
kernel which are heavily used during normal operation and that grovel over
(relatively) complicated structures - dcache, buffer cache, etc.

--
Don't believe the hype, merely painting a box blue (or rather 'teal') does
not magically make it 'just work'.