Re: Problem running 2.2.13

Matthew Wilcox (willy@thepuffingroup.com)
Thu, 30 Dec 1999 15:07:58 -0500

On Thu, Dec 30, 1999 at 01:55:16PM -0600, Keith Bottner wrote:
> /dev/sda10 is the correct mount that I am attempting to use and that works
> with my other kernels. I built the Adaptec SCSI controllers into the kernel
> to avoid this problem. I will recheck my configuration and try again and let
> you know how it goes. BTW as an aside how did you interpret the error
> message I have you to a reference to /dev/sda10?

> > "Kernel panic : VFS : Unable to mount root fs on 08:0a"

08 is the device major number. I happen to know this is SCSI :-)
0a is the device minor number. ls /dev/sda* tells me that minor 10
( == 0x0a) is /dev/sda10.

There are some other possibilities that stop it mounting your partition;
things like ensuring that you have support for SCSI hard discs (some people
might only have SCSI tape drives and no discs, for example). It may be
worth you posting your .config. (grep [my] .config)