Re: Unexecutable Stack / Buffer Overflow Exploits...

Gerhard Mack (gmack@imag.net)
Thu, 30 Dec 1999 06:38:55 +0000 ( )

Not again... last time Linus posted on this topic he suggested a better
sullution that also happened to be entirely userspace.

Has it been explored before we all go ranting off on he need for more
kernel features?

Gerhard

On Wed, 29 Dec 1999, Robert Dinse wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Dec 1999, Damien Miller wrote:
> >
> > Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 15:10:41 +1100 (EST)
> > From: Damien Miller <djm@mindrot.org>
> > To: Gregory Maxwell <greg@linuxpower.cx>
> > Cc: Horst von Brand <vonbrand@pincoya.inf.utfsm.cl>,
> > Robert Dinse <nanook@eskimo.com>, linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
> > Subject: Re: Unexecutable Stack / Buffer Overflow Exploits...

> > On Wed, 29 Dec 1999, Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> >
> > > The effectiveness of this patch comes from two places:
> > >
> > > A) It's rare and breaks all existing attacks.
> > > B) I actually makes that class of attack harder to accomplish.
> >
> > C) It warns you when a buffer overrun attempt has been made,
> > which alerts you to the problem and gives you a chance to fix
> > or disable the offending program.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Damien Miller
>
> In the event when the attacker is stupid enough to launch from a dial-up
> of an ISP, and I do see this frequently, it gives you a chance to kill the
> offending account.
>
> When they use a previously compromised host as a platform to launch their
> attack from, it gives you the chance to notify the admin of that host so they
> can secure it.
>

> -

Gerhard Mack

gmack@merlin.severious.net

<>< As a computer I find your faith in technology amusing.