Re: Unexecutable stack

Homme R. Bitter (homme@vuurwerk.nl)
Thu, 30 Dec 1999 03:43:49 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 28 Dec 1999, Steve VanDevender wrote:

<interesting discussion snipped>

> In this case a non-executable stack prevents a large and
> significant number of attacks, makes those attacks more
> noticeable ("what's that core file doing there?")

Even better, it wil log to FI /var/log/alert, you can get it mailed to a
mailbox with the smallest script the minute it happens.
Catching a (new) daemon or even some evil haxxor d00d overflowing your
stack the minute it happens is a definite advantage over having to wait
for someone to discover a typo.

Regards,

Homme R. Bitter *NIX admin, BOFH, MCSE, parttime divine entity.

REM This is a comment, I realy, really, really love comments.