Re: Athlon Gigabyte GA-7IX mainboard is unstable with 3Com ethernet-cards, partially solved

Richard Gooch (rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca)
Wed, 29 Dec 1999 16:39:09 -0700

Moritz Franosch writes:
> We use an AMD Athlon K7 processor with a Gigabyte GA-7IX mainboard.
>
> During transferring about 100 MB over the network by NFS the system
> locked totally (you could not ping it, the keyboard LEDs did not react,
> you could not switch virtual consoles).
>
> This was the case for both 3Com 3c900 Boomerang and 3Com 3c905C
> Tornado ethernet cards using the 3c59x driver. We tried the kernels
> 2.2.12, 2.2.13 and 2.3.31 without success.
> An SMC Ultra ISA ethernet card worked stable.

I've set up a GA-7IX system with 3c905B and have transferred a few
tens of GiBytes. I've had no lockups. Kernels 2.3.28, 2.3.31 and
2.3.33.

Regards,

Richard....
Permanent: rgooch@atnf.csiro.au