Re: Unexecutable stack

Michael Meissner (meissner@cygnus.com)
Tue, 28 Dec 1999 14:06:07 -0500

On Tue, Dec 28, 1999 at 04:36:59PM +0000, John Alvord wrote:
> One interesting point is that Linus was talking about methods of
> eliminating the need for trampolining a few weeks ago. That would make
> a non-executible stack trivial to implement.

A few years ago, I spent some time trying to remove all of the places where the
complier implicitly assumes trampolines were allocated on the stack, and after
a while, I gave up. It would probably take a similar effort from somebody
familiar with the compiler internals.

--
Michael Meissner, Cygnus Solutions
PMB 198, 174 Littleton Road #3, Westford, Massachusetts 01886