Re: PCI resource allocation (was Re: Ok, making ready for pre-2.4 and code-freeze..)

Richard Henderson (rth@twiddle.net)
Mon, 27 Dec 1999 17:03:58 -0800

On Mon, Dec 20, 1999 at 11:17:23AM +0100, Martin Mares wrote:
> We should define a PCI layer function (architecture specific) allowing
> drivers to ask for assigning of new resources (see the patch below).

Where's this supposed to get hooked from? In the driver sometime
long after pcibios_init? This could get really ugly, since we
might have to re-do pci_set_bus_ranges.

I would much rather see this sort of thing somehow handled during
quirks fixup header, as then we don't have to duplicate work.

> I've noticed pdev_assign_unassigned_resources() being passed min_io
> and min_mem arguments, but I think we should just adjust resources
> of the parent bus instead.

I disagree. At issue is that those arguments are to protect allocation
on top of "magic" legacy i/o and mem regions. Specific devices such
as IDE *will* be allocating out of that region.

r~