Re: patch to turn internal speaker on/off

Ryan C. Gordon (ryan_gordon@hotmail.com)
Mon, 27 Dec 1999 17:37:05 -0500

> [wrt pcmcia beeping...]
> There is a quiet option you can use to turn of the beeping, it works
> for me. The beep can be annoying, high pitch, low pitch mean different
> things :)

The pattern I'm noticing is that everyone can turn off their most annoying
beeps (be it the quiet option to pcmcia, or xset -b or setterm...)
individually, which is a good thing, certainly, if you have just one or two
that irk you (for me, it's bash's beeping when I hit tab for a filename
completion that more than one file matches). But my patch is designed to
stop them all, across the board, without having to figure out every arcane
command line switch and escape code. Not to mention that I'm sure there are
programs in existance that do not offer an option to disable beeping, or
might just be writing data to stdout with a bell char in it and isn't (in
itself) intentionally beeping.

This patch makes it easy to stop all that squeaking, without separately
configuring pcmcia-cs, bash, xset, setterm, etc...AND it stops programs that
would play sound/music through the internal squeaker with ioctl() calls to
boot.

And hey, if you like the squeaks, you can leave them in, or set it to be
togglable at runtime. It's really very configurable. Okay, I'm done
advertising. :)

--ryan.
(Please CC me, I'm not on the mailing list. Thanks!)