Re: Regarding Process and Task.

Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Mon, 27 Dec 1999 20:57:30 +0300 (MSK)

In <386767A6.F09AAE7@wipro.com> Gaurav Yadav (gaurav.yadav@wipro.com) wrote:

> Hi Gurus,
> This time I am with a small and silly question,because I am
> confused by listening to too many answers.
> What is the difference between Task and Process ?
> Are they the same or
> Is it only naming convention of Linux/Unix and Win
> or Is it having a major difference ( Please clarify ).

In Windows you have few processes and each process has few threads. Task there
is thread. In Linux (linux == kernel) you do not have threads and thus Task
and Process is basically the same things (usually you talk about Tasks where
sheduler is involved and Processes where userspace is involved but no clear
difference exist).

P.S. "Linux does not have threads" is advantage, not loss ! You can clone
process and say -- what exactly you should share. Thus you can make "normal"
threads just asking to share address space for two processes.