Re: 2.3.32-pre4/SMP still doesn't boot on Compaq Proliant 1600

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Mon, 27 Dec 1999 16:58:08 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 14 Dec 1999, Benjamin C.R. LaHaise wrote:

>Ah, I see what you're talking about. In theory we make rw_swap_page use
>the page cache operations of the filesystem (or block device) by simply
>relabelling the page from its swap cache entry. Actually, if we use the
>page cache for block device access, doesn't that mean that we can get rid
>of the swapper_inode completely? This seems like an obvious way of doing

The swapper_inode only say "I am a swap cache page". Also the
PG_swap_cache bitflag say the same. So we could remove the swapper inode
even now but that's not a maojor issue.

The swapper inode only deals with the swap cache and the swap cache is not
the right place where to allocate the loop cache.

Andrea