Re: PATCH against 2.2.13: disk io stats in /proc/stat

Serge Robyns (serge.robyns@advalvas.be)
Mon, 27 Dec 1999 14:51:15 +0100

From: Martin Dalecki <dalecki@cs.net.pl>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 1999 02:34:57 +0100
Subject: Re: PATCH against 2.2.13: disk io stats in /proc/stat

arijort@valinux.com wrote:

> So regardless of /proc/stat, which Stephen Tweedie's
> sard utility relies on, what are people using to get
> basic low level disk io stats?
>
> What /proc/stat purports to provide is what I'm looking
> for, but that information doesn't seem to be reliable,
> nor is there enough of it.

Whatever it currently is and whoever relyes on it - it is
broken by design. Therefore it should go away.

BTW> 99,999999% of users don't care about intricated ways of
pseudotuing the system. They just expect it to work out of the
box - which is right so.

- --

Marcin,

/proc/stat is an attempt to implement a kstat like system.
If the design of if is broken, it should be fixed, not trashed away.
I'm a big supporter to include a Sun like kstat mechanisme (or any other one)
to gather performance
metrics of a system. Indeed it doesn't matter for 99,9.... % of the destop
users but it matters for
the 99% of server system administrators, who are responsible to manage and
support servers.
Also in bigger organisation, capacity planning is an important discipline and
a lot of management
descisions are taken based on the input of the capacity planner. And to be
able to give rigth and
correct answers, the person should have corrent metrics.

I've the impression that a lot of people don't realise the importance of a few
small code changes in order
to be able to compete against 'reliable' branded unixes. But if Linux want to
be present on the
server market, it should take thoose things into consideration. Also as I
already posted in an older
mail, Windows 2000 has enriched it sets of performance metrics to satisfy the
server market demands.
Not that we have to follow Gates on his moves but it shows that this topic is
an issue.

Serge Robyns

--
 _______________
/               \
|                                                \
| RC&S (Robyns Consulting & Services)             \
| 139, avenue De Fre                               |
| 1180 Uccle - Belgium                             |
| phone: +32(477)29.66.97 -O- fax: +1(801)469-9358 |
|   \|/   mailto:serge.robyns@advalvas.be   \|/    |
\___/o\____ http://web.wanadoo.be/rc.s/ ____/o\____/