Re: 2.3.34 patch to stop kmod/modprobe loops

Maciej W. Rozycki (macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl)
Mon, 27 Dec 1999 13:34:24 +0100 (MET)

On Thu, 23 Dec 1999, Jesse Pollard wrote:

> It seems to me that an even simpler method could be done:
>
> 1. In the help text for the Unix domain sockets, just say:
> "If this is a module and kmod is also to be used, then
> this module must be installed via configuration files
> before multi-user mode is entered".
>
> 2. Have a configuration file to do an "insmod ..." during the
> boot.

Neither of these solutions would work when booting with "init=/bin/sh" or
in "emergency" mode. Not a nice surprise when one reverts to one of these
methods for some reason.

Otherwise one may put an appropriate "sysinit" line that would call
insmod or modprobe at the top of inittab (before other ones or it wouldn't
work).