Re: kernel change logs (was Re: (reiserfs) Re: RFC: Re: journal ports for 2.3?)

Tigran Aivazian (tigran@ocston.org)
Sun, 26 Dec 1999 14:16:18 -0800 (PST)

Hi guys,

Although I received a few nice replies privately, I think it makes sense
to clarify what I meant when I said "Jeff's comments irritate me".

I meant that we should put a lot more work into writing kernel
commentaries like the excellent one started by Neil Brown on VFS and nfsd
already (don't have URL handy). I would love to see something of the size
of Encyclopaedia Britanica that documents every single line of kernel
code, including drivers and is always uptodate despite those lines
changing every second. Titanic job isn't it? But accepting titanic jobs is
more honourable (at least in my eyes) than saying "grepping patches ain't
difficult".

I agree with Jeff that notifying individuals is impossible but helping to
dissemenate the knowledge by means of kernel internals docs is the way to
go.

Regards,
Tigran.