Re: Bug at spinlock.h line 92

German Jose Gomez Garcia (german@pinon.ccu.uniovi.es)
Sun, 26 Dec 1999 20:43:44 +0100 (MET)

On Fri, 24 Dec 1999, Manfred Spraul wrote:

> German Jose Gomez Garcia wrote:
> > >
> > > The request function of your hardware device driver returned without
> > > owning the io_request_lock.
> >
> > It is a SCSI ZIP disk attached to an onboard AIC7890 (included in a
> > Supermicro PDBU motherboard)
> >
> I could reproduce it too:
> * sym53810 [compiled as module]
> * Iomega ZIP [no disk inserted]
> * scsi midlayer statically linked into the kernel
>
> if I start "modprobe sym53c8xx", then the kernel causes an oops.
>
> The patch below fixes the problem.
>
> german, could you try the patch below?
Hello,

Your previous patch (those locks in scsi_lib.c) fixes the problem
when reading partitions from uninserted disks (SCSI ZIP). It seems that
it has been included in the 2.3.35-pre4 so no more on this.

But there is (at least) other problem with the new 2.3.35pre
series, the inclusion of the new i2c code has broken bttv. First bttv.o
depends on i2c-algo-bit.o but when you include bttv.o i2c-algo-bit.o
is not included automatically, you need to check it manually; and even
when you include it bttv still doesn't fully work. When loading with
the following options in /etc/modules.conf:

pre-install bttv modprobe -k tuner
options tuner type=5
options bttv radio=1 card=13 # AVerMedia TVPhone 98
post-remove bttv rmmod tuner

the kernel reports:

Linux video capture interface: v1.00
i2c-core.o: i2c core module
i2c-algo-bit.o: i2c bit algorithm module
i2c-core.o: driver i2c TV tuner driver registered.
bttv0: Brooktree Bt878 (rev 2) bus: 0, devfn: 128, irq: 11, memory: 0xfd9fe000.
bttv: 1 Bt8xx card(s) found.
tuner: chip found @ 0x61
bttv0: i2c attach [Philips PAL]
i2c-core.o: client [Philips PAL] registered to adapter [bt848 #0](pos. 0).
i2c-core.o: adapter bt848 #0 registered as adapter 0.
bttv0: model: BT878(AVerMedia TVCapture 98)
bttv0: i2c read 0x80: error
bttv0: i2c read 0x82: error
bttv0: i2c read 0x84: error
bttv0: i2c read 0xb6: error

and although the bttv module seems to load correctly I'm unable to get
color, the image is always B&W, sound doesn't work neither (I'm using an
AverMedia TVPhone98)

I was using the new i2c module (from the CVS at penn.netroedge.com)
and the included mkpatch perl script patch the kernel cleanly and everything
was working, so it seems to me that there was
some kind of 'typo' in the merging.

Thanks

- german

One O.S. to rule them all, | German Gomez Garcia
One O.S. to find them. | german@pinon.ccu.uniovi.es
One O.S. to bring them all |
and in the darkness bind them. | "Wur Qanar Wur Stilor Wur Kas"