Re: Ok, I give up...

Ward Vandewege (ward.vandewege@pandora.be)
Sun, 26 Dec 1999 12:28:55 +0100

At 04:32 PM 12/24/99 -0800, David Edwards wrote:
>Yes I am seeing a similar type of behavior. Once a server starts swapping,
>it continues to swap heavily until it locks up. I only see it happen on my
>web servers (all running apache 1.3.9). My 3 other boxes ( similar
>hardware to my webservers) that run mail, firewall and X have 100+ days of
>uptime, so it seems like it is some activity that the web server does that
>spurs this problem on. I've compiled in ikd to a couple of my servers and
>am working on setting up a test environment to see if I can recreate this
>problem on a test machine. If I get anything useful, I will post it to l-k.

This is _exactly_ what is happening. I have even tried another webserver
(Mathopd) which resulted in the same kind of crashes, so this suggests that
it is not in particular an Apache problem (unless Mathopd has borrowed
source from Apache...). I have another machine that runs a heavily loaded
mail/ftp server on a 2.2.13pre17, standing right next to the problematic
box, and that has a 70+ days uptime. No webserver, no problem, it seems.
There is one funny thing about the webserver setup, it has 33000 symbolic
links in the document root, pointing to the users homedirs. I am going to
change this, as I don't like it (I didn't set it up). But it will still
take some time to upgrade. I wonder if this could have something to do with it.

David, what hardware are you running on? Mine is an HP Kayak Workstation
with dual P350 II processor, but running a UP kernel.

Ward.