RE: Twain

David Schwartz (davids@webmaster.com)
Sat, 25 Dec 1999 10:06:34 -0800

> On Wed, Dec 15, 1999 at 10:44:53PM -0800, David Schwartz wrote:
> >
> > TWAIN is a Windows-specific and Macintosh-specific API. It
> does not yet
> > exist for any other environment.
>
> Actually, David Pilling wrote a TWAIN driver for Acorn's RISC OS. That
> doesn't sound like a very platform-specific API.

I just had a look at the latest ratified version of the TWAIN standard, and
the structures are only specified for Windows and Macintosh. So while some
people might call something else TWAIN, it's always possible the TWAIN group
will later ratify a different structure.

Unless there's been some agreement with the TWAIN group, it's misleading to
call anything that isn't part of the ratified standard 'TWAIN'.

DS