Re: Large memory question

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Mon, 29 Nov 1999 14:30:05 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 29 Nov 1999, Matthew Kirkwood wrote:

>Would I be right in thinking that your large memory work
>could conceivably extend to allowing a non large-mem box
>to have RAM + swap > virtual address space?

How the swap works is not changed. The swap continue to work in the same
way. When we are low on memory we move user memory to disk. So you was
just allowed to use a very large swap space (you don't need large memory
support for that). The point of the large memroy support is to avoid going
into swap after you allocated 1g of ram.

Andrea