Re: Blank console on keyboard request

Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 11:33:43 +0100 (MET)

Pavel Machek wrote:

> > Oops. I stand corrected. There's an TIOCLINUX ioctl for unblanking the
> > screen, but not for blanking the screen. There should be, though.
> > :-)
>
> > Maybe that would be the better patch....
>
> Actually that _was_ that patch long ago, but I was told it is too
> dangerous: malicious user could gain /dev/tty1 access and then fry
> monitor with blank/unblank/blank/unblank.

> This is not concern for users which have console access, because they
> could just use hammer on monitor :-). Or maybe I'm just too paranoid
> and should add TIOCLINUX ioctl?

Indeed, there are other ways to fry a monitor. Coffee anyone?

If someone seriously thinks that this is a problem, actually DO the
request only 60 seconds after the last change, aggregating all
requests upto that point.

Consider only handling the "blanks" that way. That means that
"screen-on" overrides "screen-off".

(-> unblank would mean that the screen is on for at least 60 seconds
after that.)

Roger.

 "I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was going to blame it on you."