Re: Linux 2.2.14pre7

Dominik Kubla (dominik.kubla@uni-mainz.de)
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 02:24:52 +0100

Hi Alan,

On Fri, Nov 19, 1999 at 12:01:54PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> > Hmm. Somebody "fixed" the tulip driver. It is now printing bogus "No link
> > beat found" messages. At least i think it comes from the PPC fixes because
> > the driver version has a -ppc suffix.
>
> The tulip changed about 2.2.14pre3 to be the one in pre7. That isnt a very
> recent change

Ok. After staring at the pre2, the pre7 and the 0.91 version of Donald, i ran
a simple test forcing the pre7 driver into "10BaseT (non-MII)" mode (numeric
option 12) and "MII 10BaseT" mode (numeric option 9). Both work, so it appears
as if the error shows up when checking the MII detected duplex mode but that
is not where it happens (could not be or both options would behave differently
if i understand the code correctly). That leaves the 10/100 autodection as
possible culprit. I am not sure how that hurts me since i have only 10BaseT
equipment (and why should a 21040 even try to attempt 100Mbit, isn't that
chip 10MBit only?). Here is a simple schematic of my net:

| 486 (NE2k)|---------+ +--------| Laptop (3c589)|
| |
| 10BaseT-Hub |