Re: updating the RTC automagically

Arjan van de Ven (adve@oce.nl)
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 15:42:52 +0100 (CET)

In article <19991119113906.B10503@win.tue.nl> you wrote:

> But the timezone offset is already maintained in the kernel.
> (The way it is done is broken, but that is a different matter.)
> And hwclock tells the kernel about the present timezone.

Ok. As UTC <-> Unix time isn't _that_ difficult (kHTTPd needs to do just
that), I think the argument "Doing time-calculations in the kernel is
impossible" doesn't hold. This is with the possible exception of DST, but I
think hwclock can be persuaded to inform the kernel about that as well.

[This doesn't mean I think the kernel should set the RTC, hwclock suits my
needs perfectly]

Greetings,
Arjan van de Ven