Re: Ext2 defragmentation

Theodore Y. Ts'o (tytso@MIT.EDU)
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 09:51:16 -0500

Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 07:45:32 -0500
From: TenThumbs <tenthumbs@cybernex.net>

> 8 meg block groups imply you're using 1k blocks. 32 meg block groups
> imply you're using 4k blocks. E2fsprogs 1.18 automatically creates
> filesystems with 4k blocks when making large filesystems, but most folks
> have filesystems created with earlier versions of e2fsprogs which used
> 1k blocks by default, and so there are many filesystems using 1k block
> sizes out there. That's why I said 8 megs or 32 megs.....

Doesn't this change in e2fsprogs make it harder to recover data from
a corrupt fs since there's no obvious way to know where to look for
backup superblocks.

Yes, there is that downside. We should have put at least one set of
backup superblocks at a fixed location, but that's one of the things we
didn't do when we were originally designing ext2. Hmmm... it may be
possible to put a fixed superblock on larger-sized filesystems by having
mke2fs create a .backup_superblock file, which make life easier for some
folks. (Folks who decide they desparately need the extra space back can
just delete the file.)

- Ted