Re: A problem with loopback device in 2.3.26

Richard Gooch (rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca)
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 18:24:27 -0700

Michael Sobolev writes:
> I've got a problem with loopback device.
>
> The sequence of commands:
>
> # dd if=/dev/zero of=file bs=1k count=3000
> # mke2fs -q -F -N 600 -m 0 file 3000
> # mount -t ext2 -o loop file mnt.point
>
> results in
>
> VFS: Can't find an ext2 filesystem on dev loop(7,0).
>
> # losetup /dev/loop3 file
>
> I have tried to attach the file to a loop device and compared the
> contents of the file and what is seen through /dev/loop3: the bytes
> are different. Did I miss anything? Please advise.

Yeah, I've noticed this too. It was also the case in 2.3.18. I haven't
had time to look at it, but I suspect the page cache change back in
the early 2.3.x's is to blame.

Regards,

Richard....
Permanent: rgooch@atnf.csiro.au