Re: 2.3.27 unable to boot, 2.2.13 okay, and disk problem

David Weinehall (tao@acc.umu.se)
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 04:16:18 +0100 (MET)

On Sun, 14 Nov 1999 ttsig@eargle.com wrote:

[snip]
> > Does any of your MCA machines have SCSI? I can't get the IBMMCA
> > SCSI-driver to work properly using kernels v2.3.23 and newer; they
> > just panic. It might only be the integrated SCSI-adapters that are
> > affected, I'd be very glad to get some more information on this.
>
> Yes, both machines that I use are SCSI, one is a P70
> with a IBM MCA SCSI Adapter with 256K Cache, and the
> other is a Model 77 486/66 with Intergrated SCSI. The
> P70 has a single 1Gig Conner driver, and the 77 has a
> 500 Meg IBM drive, an IBM 2x CDROM, and a 1Gig Conner
> drive.

Hmmm. My PS/2 56slc2 (Integrated SCSI) with 1 200 MB IBM
disk and one 1 GB Fujitsu disk doesn't boot anything greater
than v2.3.22.

> 2.3.18 boots on both systems. I have booted 2.3.23, 25,
> and 26 on the Model 77 (haven't tried them on the P70)
> and they all boot to a login but have terribly slow
> performance with the VM eventually killing off
> everything. Maybe we have a very bad memory leak.

I haven't tried v2.3.26, but v2.3.23 & 25 panic'ed when
probing for the drives. The bad performance is probably due to
the memory subsystem rewrite. I wouldn't worry too much; I'm sure
it'll be fixed soon.

> With 2.3.27,28 the machine won't even boot the kernel.
> It says, Uncompressing Linux...OK, now booting the
> kernel, and that's it.

I'm experiencing the same problems here, but I suspect that it's
nothing specific for MCA, but rather the new zone-allocator, or
something else in the new memory handling.

I'll wait for v2.3.28 or 29 before starting to complain wildly
about this behaviour, but the non-working SCSI is a little worse.
It's one thing if most of the world has problems, it's another
thing if it's just me...

/David
_ _
// David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /> Northern lights wander \\
// Project MCA Linux hacker // Dance across the winter sky //
\> http://www.acc.umu.se/~tao/ </ Full colour fire </