Re: 2.3.27 unable to boot, 2.2.13 okay, and disk problem

Tom Sightler (ttsig@pmki.com)
Sun, 14 Nov 1999 21:26:14 -0500

As far as I can find the Thinkpad 720 is an MCA based machine and the
integrated controller are the old IBM ESDI variety, not IDE. You need to
compile a kernel with MCA Support slected and the with PS/2 ESDI hard disk
support and you should be able to get it to find a drive. For more
information on Linux and the Thinkpad 720 see the MCA Linux homepage at
www.dgmicro.com/mca although it appears to be down a the moment, a quick
look on www.google.com for Linux, Thinkpad, 720 will give you the cached
pages.

As for the problem with 2.3.27 not booting, all of my MCA machines fail to
boot at the same spot with 2.3.27-28 as well, 2.3.26 still boots but reports
the following:

Memory: 14476k/16384k available (0k kernel code, 0k reserved, 0k data, 0k
init)

And while it boots up to a login things are VERY slow with tons of paging
and eventually the VM starts killing everything off, I was lucky to get it
shut down.

2.3.18 does not have this problem but 2.3.23 does. Looking back through the
code there are a lot of changes to the bootmem code so I'm guessing these
changes broke MCA. I haven't had time to look at it further but hope to
soon if someone else doesn't beat me to it.

Later,
Tom