Re: linux-2.3.28 make failure in fs/open.c

Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Sun, 14 Nov 1999 20:58:51 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 15 Nov 1999, Marc Lehmann wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 14, 1999 at 01:24:30PM -0700, James MacKinnon <jmack@Phys.UAlberta.CA> wrote:
> > Hmm. I did just notice the warning to stay away from pgcc etc in the
> > Changes file... perhaps this kind of thing should be in the top level
>
> Funny, I can't find that warning ;) However, I can find this:
>
> Note that the latest compilers (egcs, pgcc, gcc 2.8) may do Bad Things
> while compiling your kernel, particularly if absurd optimizations (like
> -O9) are used. Caveat emptor. Currently, the only
>
> This is obviously very old (both egcs and gcc-2.8 are no longer the
> "latest" versions). Now that many problems were resolved and the kernel
> (at least 2.3) auto-detects wether (p)gcc-2.95 is used, is this warning
> still valid?
>
> In effect this warning says: "use gcc-2.7.2 or do not complain".

It does. But actually in this case another warning is needed:
if your compiler says that it got an internal error and asks you
to report the bug - check the memory (e.g. with a different compiler) and
if it is not faulty DO WHAT YOU'VE BEEN TOLD. Report the bug to compiler
maintainers.