Re: linux-2.3.28 make failure in fs/open.c

James MacKinnon (jmack@Phys.UAlberta.CA)
Sun, 14 Nov 1999 13:24:30 -0700 (MST)

On Sun, 14 Nov 1999, Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:

> On 1999-11-14T12:56:37,
> James MacKinnon <jmack@Phys.UAlberta.CA> said:
>
> > Are you saying that the 2.3 kernels require a different compiler
> > suite than what is normally available on a stock 2.x kernel RH6.0 system?
>
> RH 6.0 doesn't ship with pgcc and compiles 2.3 just fine.
>
> > (for instance how does one specify not to use pgcc in 'make menuconfig' ?)
>
> Do not install Mandrake and claim it is RH 6.0.

That's likely an issue for the Mandrake crew rather than me...
- obviously this means pgcc is a Mandrake supplement - oh well,
I'll see about grabbing a regular gcc.

However, I do note that I had no trouble at all using pgcc to build 2.3.18

Hmm. I did just notice the warning to stay away from pgcc etc in the
Changes file... perhaps this kind of thing should be in the top level
README or in a separate 'COMPILER.WARNING' file at the top level for the
devel kernels.

Thanks

--
James S. MacKinnon           Office: P-139 Avadh-Bhatia Physics Lab
Team Physics                 Voice : (780) 492-8226 [old AC 403]