Re: compile warning

Joe (joeja@mindspring.com)
Sun, 14 Nov 1999 09:39:06 -0500

Oleg Drokin wrote:

> Hello!
>
> In article <382E0357.EB63C@mindspring.com> you wrote:
> J> -----------------------------------------
> J> setup.c: In function `setup_arch':
> J> setup.c:370: warning: unsigned int format, long unsigned int arg (arg 2)
> J> --------------------------------------
> J> patch is below
> J> ---------------------------------------
>
> J> - printk(KERN_NOTICE "Ignoring bogus EBDA
> J> pointer %X\n",
> J> + printk(KERN_NOTICE "Ignoring bogus EBDA
> J> pointer %lu\n",
> J> i386_endbase);
> So you print decimal value instead of hexadecimal now?
> What's wrong with %lX?

I am not a kernel expert nor a C expert (much better with scripting :-)), I
was getting ride of a warning. I was not thinking so much what X was doing,
but I new that lu would get ride of it. It originally had X not lX so maybe
it would be a good idea, to change the lu to lX?
Since this is more of a 'silly' warning the fact that the list has been made
aware of this will hopefully allow it to get fixed in 2.2.14. If you'd like me
to change the lu to lX I can and resend the patch thou.

I am not sure how others compile there kernels, but I have a script that
rather than print every line of output to the console it only prints the
warnings and errors (> /dev/null) thus makeing compile time warnings easier to
see. Basically just 'make -j 5 bzImage > /dev/null' does it. This script
I have does other things in it as I have a dual boot it runs lilo creates and
image of my boot sector etc. so I did not think it necessary to attach it.

int i = 02
printf(" just my .%d cents", i);

--
Joseph Acosta