Re: PATCH 2.3.28: drivers/net/Makefile update

Ralf Baechle (ralf@uni-koblenz.de)
Sun, 14 Nov 1999 01:55:59 +0100

On Sat, Nov 13, 1999 at 12:22:05PM +0100, Dominik Kubla wrote:

> The result would be a link kit for the kernel just like the "big" Unices
> have. That would make things easier for distributors, because they could
> simply run a link script to produce a customized kernel after installation.
>
> That procedure is described in every text about Unix system administration
> with an asterisk telling people that with Linux you need to recompile your
> kernel... We should get rid of this, shouldn't we?

For certain architectures like MIPS we still want to compile modules with
different compiler options than statically linked object files for best
performance. The difference may be small but it exists.

Ralf