re: Linux RedHat 6.x bug: IPv4/UDP bind() allocates same port number by

Dan Kegel (dank@alumni.caltech.edu)
Sat, 13 Nov 1999 11:27:52 -0800

Nicolas DE METZ-NOBLAT <nmn@pspc7811.cern.ch> wrote:
> Only Linux reports twice the same value and this explains other
> problems when using UDP protocol, like confused remote servers:
> I have some programs that run once without any problem, but if
> restarted without waiting for at least 2 minutes, the remote
> server just refuse the connection, because the port number and
> all other informations are identical to the previous connection.

Please provide more details about the remote servers that had
difficulties with this behavior. As David Miller points out,
they might be at fault for not handling this behavior properly.
If they are common enough applications, maybe we can change
Linux's behavior as a courtesy.

- Dan

--
(The above is just my personal opinion; I don't speak for my employer,
 except on the occasional talk show.)