Re: [Patch] shm bug introduced with pagecache in 2.3.11

Dominik Kubla (dominik.kubla@uni-mainz.de)
Sat, 13 Nov 1999 19:11:49 +0100

On Sat, Nov 13, 1999 at 06:55:53PM +0100, Manfred Spraul wrote:
> Gerard Roudier wrote:
> >
> > Hi Manfred,
> >
> > Could it be possible for you to run benchmarks against O/Ses we have
> > access to the source code instead of binary-only available ones. This
> > would allow to learn a lot better from the differences. For example
> > FreeBSD is as simple as Redhat to install and a base system will consume
> > far less disk space than NT.
> >
> Source code is at http://colorfullife.com/~manfreds/pagein/pagein.cpp;
> I don't have FreeBSD.

Gerard was referring to the source code of the _OS_, not your benchmark!
And i have to agree with him: There is no way to understand what a OS
is really doing without looking at the source. (Reminds me of our X11
benches back in the "old times": only be running them on really slow
hardware we could see that some commercial servers were "optimized for
benchmarks" - they simply skipped some drawing operations. DOH!)

As for not having FreeBSD: simply look at www.freebsd.org...

Yours,
Dominik Kubla